Re: [TowerTalk] RE Max Unguyed Rohn 25 height to support dipole end

To: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE Max Unguyed Rohn 25 height to support dipole end
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:50:13 +0500
 > Donald Chester wrote:
> I think about 26 ft. (3 sections with 4 ft. buried in concrete) is about
> all that is recommended for a freestanding 25G tower, with negligible
> wind load such as a small TV antenna.  With even that they recommend at
> least a house bracket.   I wouldn't try to use an unguyed 25G at any
> length to hold up a dipole without at least one guy attached to each
> tower to oppose the pull of the dipole.  An ice storm or heavy wind
> could cause the dipole to pull the unguyed tower enough to bend it.
> Notice that the power and telephone co. uses a guy wire on a wooden pole
> that carries nothing more than a telephone drop cable across a narrow road.

You may be better off with a 60' Rohn push-up
pole.  They are whippy without guys but if angled
slighty away from one another may likely stand a
long time with a dipole tensioned between them.

I don't believe that Rohn or it's successors make
them any more, at least they did not for a while,
but they show up at fests on the regular basis.

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E