Re: [TowerTalk] shunt fed tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shunt fed tower
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:00:38 +0500
> I am having a problem that I would like to solve.
> Should a shunt fed tower perform as well on receive
> as it seems to perform on transmit.

Not necessarily.  It is somewhat localized.  The vertical
will often pickup more noise than a horizontal or loop.

Can you describe the area around your QTH?

> Should a shunt fed tower perform on receive as well
> as a refernce vertical (off center fed or base fed)
> of the same height as the tower?
> Paul    WA5MUE

Not necessarily.  What is in proximity to the tower
that is not in proximity to the reference vertical?

Is the shunt-fed tower a simple "fat" vertical or does
it have antennas on top which function as a capacitive
hat?  Dipoles hung off the tower?

What about the radial systems for either?

Just some thoughts.  BTW: I was with some guys today discussing
preparation for Winter on Topband/160M and the need to get
receiving loops into our mix of antennas.

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E