[TowerTalk] Radials on a fence and weatherproofing connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radials on a fence and weatherproofing connectors
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:29:28 -0500
Hi all,

I'm in the process of laying some radials down in the back yard for
160, and something occurred to me. On two sides of my yard is a
wooden fence about 7' high, 75' one way from the feed point of the
antenna to a corner, and then another 80-90' at right angles to that
across the back of the property. While I'm going to be laying down
wire all through that area in the back, and at the base of the fence,
I was wondering if adding a couple of radial wires *on* the  fence,
2, 5 and 7 feet from above the ground, would make a difference, help,
hurt or not do anything worth the expense of the extra copper.

My second question is weatherproofing connectors: Reading through the
archives I saw a method of doing this that I was planning on using: 1
layer of Super 88 tape, a layer of 3M 130C self-annealing tape then
two layers of Super-88 counter-wrapped on top. Is this a good way to
go, do you think? Is there something better, maybe? Until now I've
just used Coax-Seal predominantly, but I suspect the 130C/Super 88 is
a better solution. Agree? Disagree?

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT