[TowerTalk] aluminum radials was Re: Copper wire prices

To: ve3zi@rac.ca, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum radials was Re: Copper wire prices
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 06:06:10 -0800
At 09:09 PM 11/19/2006, Roger Parsons wrote:
>It is quite while since I visiting a cable
>manufacturing facility. However, BICC certainly made
>the complete cable in house. A single machine would
>produce the copper wire from a large diameter ingot
>and add the insulation. This was done at some hundreds
>of feet per minute and included vats of molten
>polyethylene. This was also true for multi-core cables
>although these had multiple ingots and vats.
>Nevertheless, production of a complete multi-core
>cable was a single operation.

This brings up an interesting idea.  Aluminum wire is cheap.
insulation is cheap.  Rather than thinking in terms of surface
passivation, or magnet wire, why not bury something that looks like
aluminum house wire? (except probably lighter gauge) Is there some
insulation material (THWN?) suitable for wet locations that is
abrasion resistant enough to survive the burial? There are things
like UF (underground feeder) intended for direct burial, so it might
be possible.

While aluminum house wire isn't used much these days in construction,
that doesn't mean it's non-existent.  And, you probably wouldn't want
AWG12 anyway.  (I did a quick google, and it appears that building
wire in Aluminum is really available only in AWG6 and bigger, for
applications like service entrance)

I notice, by the way, that companies like Superior Essex (who make a
lot of wire) have notices saying that the increased price of copper
is making a lot of buyers move to aluminum, which is resulting in a
shortage of the aluminum rods used for drawing into wire(!).  They
make Aluminum magnet wire, by the way.
http://www.essexgroup.com/Products_Services/Magnet_Wire/