[TowerTalk] Computer RFI

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Computer RFI
From: <k8jdc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:01:19 -0500
Jim,

     My wife received a new computer recently from her employer to use at
home and it generated HUGE amounts of noise.  I couldn't even pick up 50 KW
WLW-AM in the same part of the house.  Like yours, the noise was present
even when the computer was turned off, but I could kill the noise by
unplugging it.  (I should have forced her to send this no-name computer back
to her employer to get fixed, but didn't).

     I was able to fix her computer by replacing the AC socket on the back
of the computer with a Corcom EMI filter-type socket.  I think it was only a
few bucks and it took care of the problem in my case.  It did require a
little work with the soldering iron, but still was only about a 10-minute
job.

73,
Dave / K8JDC