Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding

To: "Kirk" <kirk.harding@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:26:19 +0000
Kirk:

     Not sure whether your tower has tubular or angle members.  If angular like
mine (Trylon), you can use clamps from Harger.  Go to their lightning
protection accessories pages http://www.harger.com/productinformation.htm then
click on 2.5.11 and check out their 213 line of connectors, including aluminum
connectors, or click on 2.6.1 to see info on their 222 connectors.  I've used
both on my Trylon; the former for connecting the ground leads of my coax
shields to the tower, the latter to connect the main grounding conductor from
the buried ground rods at the tower bottom to each tower leg.

   The good thing about the model 213's is that you don't need a hole in the
tower member to apply them.  They are designed to clamp onto the angle member,
yet they allow the clamping surfaces to drain via the grooves in the flat
plate.  The larger model 222's connect to the Trylon legs through pre-drilled
3/16 inch holes in the tower legs.

     I also use the model 213's to connect the wires from my shunt-feed
matching system to the tower members.  I simply add another half-inch SS washer
to the clamp assembly and slip the shunt wires between the two washers before I
tighten the clamp.

73 es HTG de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Kirk" <kirk.harding@cox.net>