[TowerTalk] Ask the Experts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ask the Experts
From: kk5oq@datastar.net
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:49:05 -0600 (CST)
I am coming up on retirement after 32 years in the .mil world.
I want to put up a self supporting crank up type tower (70') and a
40-10 meter non trap type yagi beam antenna. I looked at the
Optibeam 40-10 antenna and it appears to be well made/designed.
The wind speed down her is said to be 100mph. This was based on
some 50 year study and had something to do with hurricane's.
We seldom get 60mph burst of winds during bad tstorms.
The eye of katrina was just a few miles west of me.
I have always used homebrew cut dipoles and verticals.
I need to start making some points in the contest  ( rtty )
and improve on the dxcc count ( 309 worked rtty ).
Your advice will be much appreciated. I don't want to cut cost
just to get a beam in the air but on the other hand I don't want
to overkill on the cost if their is such a thing dealing with
tower antennas.
Thanks in advance.
73
charles/kk5oq