Re: [TowerTalk] Ground - at base of tower or entrance to house?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@n7us.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground - at base of tower or entrance to house?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:35:17 EST

In a message dated 11/22/2006 7:02:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Should I do as I had last time in AZ, and have ICE lightning  arrestors on
the coax cables and control lines at the base of the tower or  should I have
the well-known single-point ground on the outside wall of the  house.  It
seems better to me to have it at the base of the tower  since the lines from
that point to the house are  buried.

         The whole point of a  lightning suppression system is to keep the
transients out of the house. You can  get a lot of induced potential from being
in the ground when you  take a nearby ground strike. After all, that's where
the strike is trying  to go.

        Lightning suppression  devices at the tower are good but they HAVE to
be at the house entry.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH