[TowerTalk] Lightning protection for rotator cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection for rotator cable
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:47:21 -0800
I've read the PolyPhaser document on protection for ham stations but
it is vague on how to protect rotator cables. First, I wonder how much
protection, if any, is needed in the first place? In my tower, the
rotator is inside the tower and the control lines run down inside the
tower as well. Coming out from the tower at the bottom, they run
underground to the shack, about 70 feet away. It seems to me that
neither the rotator nor the lines will ever take a direct hit, but
they could have some energy induced from the tower itself.

So I'm wondering if I should bother with protection for the
cable/rotator? My tower has taken two direct hits in the last two
years and some damage has resulted, but not to the rotator system. I
am in the process of upgrading the grounding for the tower and coax
and that's what brought me to considering the rotator.

All comments welcome.

Bill, W6WRT