Re: [TowerTalk] Cap at the tower question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cap at the tower question
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:30:25 +0000
Clint Talmadge wrote:

>It has been my intention to mount the cap on the bottom of the Hazer...I found
>a 130-156 MFD 330 VAC cap that is larger than the original and will not fit in
>the control box....Is there a downside to mounting the cap outside?

Yes.  These caps have a terrible temperature coefficient and in very
cold weather the capacitance is only a fraction of its nominal value.
If you live in warm climates or use a capacitor with slightly greater
room temperature capacitance you should be OK.

FWIW, I have one mounted outside and it seems to work on my T2X even
when it's well below zero (F).

Bud, W2RU