[TowerTalk] LMR-400 with Rotators - A Dilemma

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 with Rotators - A Dilemma
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 05:08:16 -0800 (PST)
ummm, you aren't going to like my thoughts... I think you are way in over your
head on this...  If you insist on trying to use a stiff coax in a flexing
situation you are in for endless breakage...  The only way I see this as being
remotely successfull is to have the "hardline" come off the tower at an angle
in a gentle caternary to the ground- forget the cable loops  - so that as the
tower is lowered the hardline can be draped across the lawn in large S
curves...  The very best way to handle this is to crank the tower up the day
you install the hardline and leave it up until the day your widow sells your
worn out, obsolete, ham gear for two cents on the dollar...
As far as LMR-400 for the rotator loops it will not give reliable service...
You will need to use one of the superflex type cables.. Give the guys at Davis
RF a call and ask them for advice...

cheers  ...  denny - k8do