[TowerTalk] ABS Weatherproof Boxes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] ABS Weatherproof Boxes
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:32:21 -0500
Further to this topic from the other day, I just wanted to mention a caution.
I use several of these for various antenna-related relay switching, and found
out the hard way that their wall thickness can be a problem.  I wanted to use
single-hole SO-239s in one box, and found that the ones I could get had the
thread on the outside - so you would stick them through the box from the
inside, and then put the nuts on to hold them in place.  The trouble was that
with the thick walls, the depth of the thread remaining was insufficient to
pull standard PL-259s down tight against the jacks.  Intermittents galore till
I figured it out.

You *can* get SO-239s that have the thread behind the fixed flange, but I
suspect you will have to hunt a little harder for them, and ask specifically.
Also anyone hoping to mount Polyphasers directly on the wall of the box may run
into the same problem I did.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3226 contest stations