Re: [TowerTalk] Problems with public housing

To: "vk6jb" <vk6jb@amnet.net.au>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Problems with public housing
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:30:07 -0500
Hi, DeJohn.... First, I guess I don't see what power that manager has to
force you to take down your antenna. I'm quite sure Perth in Western
Australia is just as much governed by the rule of law as the town I live in
is here in the States. There has to be a "due process" in order to remove
someone's property.  Find out what laws apply. Here, if a person has been
given permission and has been following a practice that has been allowed
(especially for as long as 10 years and no complaints), a precedent has been
set which is... at least for that person and that situation... effectively a
change in the rules.  In other words, it seems to me that since the previous
manager gave you permission, and you relied on that permission to expended
money and adjusted your life and accumulated perhaps even some dependency
(in your disabled circumstances) on that permission, it would be
unreasonable and probably unlawful for the new manager to suddenly change
things for no particular reason and act against your interest. He's damaging
you if he does that.

Call your local newspaper or television news department... I'm sure they
will find your plight very newsworthy.  Do you do any public service work
with your radio? If so, maybe a letter from someone or some cause you've
helped will now help you and your cause.

Contact your National amateur radio organization... and maybe a large local
Club.... perhaps they have some good advice, or even free legal counsel
available to you if you're a member... and maybe even if you're not.  Or at
least maybe they can refer you to a lawyer who will take your case....
hopefully pro bono.  Get some of your neighbors to write to the public
housing authority or council in your favor. How about a local organization
for the disabled? Maybe they have some help to offer you.

Last, be stubborn, and don't take down your antennas. If they come to do it
against your will, have someone video them doing so, and send the video to
the TV news with a statement. Offer to be interviewed in your station while
you describe all the good things hams do for the community, especially in
times of disaster. Ask the question... what if Perth were ever struck (Lord
forbid!) by a tsunami like the one that hit the Indian Ocean area not long
ago.

Above all.... DON'T GIVE UP!!  If you go down, go down fighting. And I do
hope you will prevail.

73, Jerry K3BZ