Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:05:33 -0800
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:43 PM

> "And 14.3 watts more than I can radiate on 160m"
>
> Yeah, if I find I can *hear* anything on 160 with this thing, I'll
> pursue more efficient loading schemes so I don't lose so much in the
> ground.
>
> Dan

Puts some top loading wires on the vertical and you
should be able to nearly double the radiation resistance.
This will reduce the base current and hence the ground
losses and coil losses. It will also reduce the amount
of inductance needed, so peak voltage across the coil
will be reduced. I've run a 45' vertical  with a combination
of top hat wires and center inductive loading on 160
with very good results. Radiation resistance is about
6 ohms. With a good ground system efficiency seems
to be very good (parking it on a salt flat doesn't hurt
either).

I use black PVC as coil forms at 1200 watts on 160
with no problems.