Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:16:29 -0500 (EST)
Trent,

Elegant simplicity is the reason insulated base verticals are the "defacto
standard" for 4-square arrays.  Each element is identical and most importantly
there are no reactive elements between the transmission lines and the
verticals.  This makes it practical to design a relatively simple matching and
switching network for the entire array.

There are at least three big problems with adding a matching network at the
base of each vertical:

1. only two of the verticals (the two that are fed in phase) have identical
impedances.  The leading and lagging phased verticals have significantly
different impedances.

2. vertical base matching networks (e.g., a gamma match) change the RF current
and phase delay to each vertical.  Their affect will not be identical as the
array is switched because the impedance of each vertical changes when we switch
direction.

3. wbecause we switch our 4-square verticals in four different directions, it
is very different from AM broadcast arrays that are usually aligned for a
single pattern. Because of (1) and (2), a 4-square array with matching at the
base of each vertical (e.g., a gamma match) would require switching of three
different networks at each vertical base.

In summary: find a way to insulate the bases of your verticals.  It will save
you a huge amount of time and money (and maybe a masters degree in electrical
engineering and several years of field experience with adjustment AM
broadcasting arrays) if you try to use a gamma match on each vertical!

73!
Frank
W3LPL