Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:40:48 -0500
One well placed shotgun report with #9 shot moves Starlings or Grackles
and after doing it a few times they seem to move on.  I have to convince
very large flocks ( ie 50,000 or more I suspect ) once or twice each
winter to not roost in the tree line surrounding the antenna field.  My
real concern is the  big turkey vultures that like to sit once in a
while on the 40 beam.  These are very large birds and the element sag is
something to behold when 5 or 6 of these beasts sit on a single
element.  They are either resting or hunting, I'm not sure which.  They
are usually already gone by the time I take a shotgun off the rack and
dig up a shell or three and walk outside. One needs to dissuade them,
not shoot at them.  Even #9 shot will wreck havoc with aluminum
elements, feedlines etc.  When the Bald Eagle visits tho, I grab the
binoculars and watch that maginficent bird for as long as he will allow
me to do so.  I suspect he is also a deterrent to other birds.  Right
now we have millions of migrating Canada Geese in the area....they leave
a mess on the ground, but do not land or roost in the towers thank
goodness. Another joy to behold and listen to.  73 bob de w9ge  Merry
Christmas