Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !

To: <k7nj@infowest.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:34:54 -0500

>I had a similar problem at 4X4NJ and experimented with audio recordings
> of birds of prey.  These were obtained from an ornithologist who worked
> for the Israel Civil Aeronautics Administration at Ben-Gurion
> International Airport. When I played the recordings through an outside
> speaker, the birds would immediately leave.  I planned to obtain a good
> outdoor speaker - perhaps a military unit from a surplus store, and
> mount it up on the antenna mast.  Then, I could play the recordings when
> needed - perhaps on a predetermined timed schedule, or even with some
> sort of automated system that detects the birds and then plays the
> recording. Before completing this project, I moved to a new QTH without

This works, but it's not a permanent solution.  If the birds hear the bird
of prey enough times without ation they will eventually ignore the sounds.
That is unless they actually run into one. Then they will bear the sound
again for a while.

> that problem.  So, in summary, birds are a major threat to aircraft, and
> I recommend that you try to obtain recordings of birds of prey from
> aviation sources (perhaps even through the USAF if you have the
> contacts).  Good luck.

If a few of the birds should suffer an accident they will soon leave and may
not return for a long time.

Roger (K8RI)