Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "Robert G. Strickland" <rcrgs@verizon.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:25:13 -0500

> [I apologize if this is a dupe]
>
>>Hello, all...
>
> Being more of a beginner than an expert, and following this thread - and
> others - leaves me with questions "sort of" unanswered. Modeling lightning
> strike wave forms and calculating impulse energy/duration, while
> necessary,
> is still a bit removed from "okay, here's the tower, now what do I do?" I
> may be putting up a tower at a very high point that is <guaranteed> to
> take
> direct strikes. My kids across the road from my prospective QTH get
> <direct> hits on their wood fram house several times during the summer
> season. I've been at their house when it was hit [they have an extensive,
> somewhat traditional house grounding system], and for those unfamiliar
> with
> such an event, it is VERY impressive. Given direct hits, what's the plan?
> Discussions of big versus small strikes seems besides the point. A direct

Big versus little is quite relevant as all strikes may be big, but some are
a *LOT* bigger than others.
My tower takes a number of hits every year.

> hit is BIG regardless of its relative size.
>
> Disconnecting the equipment seems obvious. That done, is there a consensus

I rarely disconnect anything in the house and have had no damage since
finishing the ground system.

In addition to reading the Polyphaser page I'd read the one by W8ji
http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm He has a large instalation on a
mountain top and he doesn't sell lightning protection equipment.

<snip>

> Also, carry insurance regardless of the grounding system [Murphy's Law].

Insurance may or may not cover lightning damage. Check your policy to be
sure.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)