Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:56:32 +0000
> This includes coax cable suppressors, rotor line suppressors and power line
> suppressors for power that feeds the equipment in your shack. They all need
> to be on the same (heavy) panel. Then ground straps are run from this single
> point ground panel to the ground system which should be located as close as
> possible.
>
> The whole idea of a single point ground is to have a place to tie all lines
> together with zero impedance between them. You can run as many grounds to
> earth from that point as you desire. But all cables entering the shack must
> be physically mounted to that single point ground panel.

I agree with the above statement but in my personal case I have SO many cables
a massively large single panel is not doable.  So I have four Hoffman
enclosures which are mounted next to each other and tied together is wide
copper strap.  These are mounted along the back of the deck which is also right
in front of the shack entrance.  One foot beneath these boxes are three ground
rods which are all tied together similarly and the boxes then are grounded to
this SPG system.  So my SPG is as you describe a place.

Phil  KB9CRY