Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty

To: "N6KI Dennis Vernacchia" <n6ki_73@sbcglobal.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:28:49 -0500
Hi Dennis,

I put this on list as there may be some others interested in moving the
motor position.

Mine is one of the older green ones (PST-61) and rotating the motor position
90 degrees only involves removing 4 small bolts with the rotator up on its
side so the oil doesn't run out. Then the motor is rotated 90 degrees and
the bolts reinstalled.  Originally the motor was mounted vertically and
interfered with the cross braces in the tower. I needed it to stick out the
side where it'd clear the braces.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm  If you look near the
bottom of the photo you will see the motor mounted horizontally and sticking
out the side of the tower.  I have some better photos that I'll put up on
the page with the repair story on the link below.

BTW if you do have one of the older, green units it needs to have something
installed over the top seal to prevent water from sitting on it. The water
eventually causes rusting on the shaft which eventually takes out the seal
which then lets water into the housing which takes out the top bearing.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm
I have completely rebuilt the rotator but only have the tear down on the
web. I need to get the rest up with photos showing the seal cover I added.
I also packed the rotator with white Lithium grease rather than putting the
gear lube back in.

That rotator is rugged using 32009X wheel bearings top and bottom. I think
it's capable of supporting over 2 tons of dead weight and considerable side
thrust.

73

Roger (K8RI)