Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing CDE/HyGain/MFJ antenna rotators

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing CDE/HyGain/MFJ antenna rotators
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:34:06 -0600
Hi Clint --
Nice that you were able to get that rotator repair info
in a pdf file.  Perhaps the author of that one would
also put it on a web site to make it easily available to
others.  If he needs the space I can add it to my info
and give him full credit.  I just wanted to make sure
this kind of information was made available to other
hams.  Several things on my website came about
because I couldn't find any good info out on the web
so I had to wring it out myself.  Then I wrote it up for
others.

I absolutely agree with you about not using gasoline
for a cleaner and I knew I'd catch flack from
someone if I let that go on into the article.  The truth
is, however, that I told just what I did during my
repairs and I did caution about using it outside and in
the clear.  If I was really smart I wouldn't have used
gasoline either, but if I were really smart I'd be rich
so I guess you see that I'm admitting to
something........
Next time I rebuild one of my rotors, I promise I'll
plan a bit further ahead and have a much safer
cleaner on site.

I've already received several notes from other guys
saying that they were glad to see this information so
my time in preparing it was worthwhile and well
spent.

73,
Jim - K5LAD

On 9 Jan 2007 at 11:50, Clint Talmadge wrote:

> I read this post with some interest as I too have a HAM type rotor
> that I would like to go through. I recently placed a post on TT asking
> for a repair procedure and was given one in PDF format by a ham who
> used to repair rotors. He sold a repair kit and the instructions were
> part of the package.
>
> I must greatly disagree with one step of your instruction though.
> Please never use Gasoline as a degreasing agent.  Gasoline is a motor
> fuel and is VERY dangerous whether or not it is used inside or outside
> (as suggested on your web site).  There are many commercially
> available cleaners and degreasers which are not any where near as
> dangerous as Gasoline and actually do a much better job at cleaning,
> degreasing and not leaving any residue when done.  Of course with any
> cleaning chemical follow the directions and heed the warnings of the
> manufacturer.
>
> Clint - W5CPT

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam
Levenson
My Web Page - http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad