Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installation
From: Mike Miller <wa0zog@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:35:47 -0600
Gee, that makes me feel good.  Not that you've been working on it for 45 days,
since I've been on mine for nearly 4 months (much of that waiting on the
donated yagi to arrive), but that I seem to have gotten a bargain by comparison.

Hole (5 X 5 X 8) $ free - Included in some other work I had done at no extra
charge
Concrete, 7.75 yards $675 - We just barely managed to get the 'chutes to the
back yard
                                where the tower is placed
Rebar cage $90 - Mine isn't welded like many, but tied together with rebar
ties...seems
                                strong enough, though
Tree trimming $600 - Needed a hole for the yagi
Tower erection $75 - Performed by the tree trimmer

My concrete was finished by a friend with some concrete experience...not
perfect, but passable.  The tower (Rohn HDBX-40) was assembled by myself on the
ground and stood upright by the tree trimmer with his boom truck.  The pictures
taken at the time this operation were performed illustrate how we accomplished
this.  It really worked quite well, and saved a bunch of time and headaches.

Thanks to this ice storm, I'm waiting on warmer weather so that I can trench
between the house and the tower to bury the coax conduit and finish the
cabling, then I'll run the 40' of mast between the rotor and the top of the
tower and see if I can't get the tribander here to get it on top of the tower,
along with the 2m yagi.  Before anyone gets excited, I have a rotor plate at
the bottom of my tower as well as at the top, and my rotor is at the bottom
with a thrust bearing at the top, so 40' of mast is an acceptable amount in
this case.

Mine started out a relatively inexpensive project, and still is, as far as
towers goes, but I want to get it finished...

73,

Mike, WA0ZOG

Message: 10