[TowerTalk] Ham IV vs. G800SA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham IV vs. G800SA
From: WB4UNA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:59:05 EST

Now that I am getting ready to finally get my tower up, I need to get  a new
rotor and am comparing the Hygain Ham IV and Yaesu  G-800SA.  I would like to
know what everyones' opinion is of the  two.  I know that they do not have
the same specs (windload,  effective moment in tower, etc.) but each would
work fine for what I  need (turning a 3 element SteppIR and 2 meter beam).

So, how do the  two compare for quality, longevity and other characteristics?
Since I will be buying the rotor new and not used, I would also like to
know if Hygain's quality has gone down since partnering with  MFJ.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jon,  N7XW

I  think we have done this before. I would go with the Hygain rotor. No, the
quality has not gone down since MFJ has taken thrm over if anything it has
gotten better. You can call and get pats for Hygain rotors or send them to  get
it rebuilt, try and do that with Yaesu. I had a TX2 rebuilt 3 years  ago and
it set on the shelf for all that time. I took it down and was  checking a
control box and noticed that the needle was jumping around. I  sent it back to
MFJ
and they replaced the pot at the top of the rotor  because it got corroded
due to setting in one place  . I  call that good service.

just my .002

Randy
WB4UNA since 1970
Carlus M. Randy Chavis