[TowerTalk] Towers and Open Wire Feeders

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers and Open Wire Feeders
From: "Adrian Rees" <rees.a@btconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:25:46 -0000
Hi all
I have been conducting a few experiments using open wire feeders to monoband
Yagi's. So far things are looking very good. (I do not want to use Co Ax
feeders due to the very long cable runs (and associated loss) at my QTH.
Typically 350 metres).

The next step is to run the open wire feeder around the Rotator unit. I would
like to keep Open Wire feeder as the only feeder from the shack to the Yagi,
but recognise I may have to change this requirement. For example feeding Open
Wire feeder into the shack, although electrically efficient, would create
practical issues in terms of cable management. So I may use 1:1 Baluns at the
shack end and feed short CoAx runs into the shack. I am using tuned lengths of
feeder so the impedance presented by the antenna to the feeder is the same
impedance at the shack end ).

So, thats some back ground. How do I run Open Wire Feeders around a Rotator ?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian Rees MW1LCR