Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Managing Balanced line transitions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Managing Balanced line transitions
From: "Cecil Moore" <w5dxp@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:16:44 -0600
From: "Allan H. Kaplan" <w1ael@arrl.net>
Let me explain that my advice against using baluns in connection with
open-wire line was focused on the case of TUNED balanced feeders, i.e.
where the antenna is operated somewhere off resonance.

It is true that baluns are stressed under those conditions. A husky 1:1 choke with a few thousand ohms of choking impedance works well to reduce the common-mode current. If the choke is placed at a balanced to unbalanced junction, it is also functioning as an elementary balun. Your balanced tuner suggestion is a good one. -- 73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Check out all that glitters with the MSN Entertainment Guide to the Academy Awards® http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2