Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:53:46 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2007 11:56:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>> I can't imagine giving advice to try a vertical without some  thought
>> to radials. There is a noticeable improvement in even  adding a single
>> radial to a groiund rod only sustem. The ham that  uses 4 quarter wave
>> radials would be much better off putting that  1 wavelength of wire
>> down as 10 one tenth wave  radials.

>  A half wave vertical will perform pretty well with  a minimum ground
system.

    I've spent years in the ham radio antenna  universe, both as a user,
vendor and installer and it seems to me that LOTS of  hams start out with a
vertical. After all, it sounds pretty good, what with a  small footprint, no
tower,
lots of them for sale or free, etc. It doesn't take  very long to realize that
they're mostly a dummy load on a stick and your  horizon expands on how to
get out better. That's when you start figuring out  the antenna hierarchy and
your goals become more ambitious as you learn more.

I myself went thru the same progression and I'll  tell you that making a
contact with a 4BTV and no radials was challenging.  Moved up to wire antennas
from there - much better.

    Besides the good old LXC Prime Directive to "DO  what the manufacturer
says", I tell people to "go with what you've got". If  all you've got is a used
vertical - use it. If you've got a small yard -  put down what radials you
can. Not enough room for a dipole? Bend the ends  around what you've got to fit
it in. If you've got trees - use them for some  wire antennas. They WILL all
radiate and you WILL make contacts. Just get  on the air and have fun.

    Yes - some configurations work better than  others, but anything works
better than nothing.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH