Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G

To: <kb0fhp@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G
From: "Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:46:22 -0700
First, the disclaimer.  I just installed a 50 tower for a commercial
application and used the pier pin because it was part of the engineered
specifications, and I had an engineer on the job that was a stickler for
things like that.  That stupid pier pin is part of the base design, so I
used it.

Second, the reality.  That pier pin does nothing except keep the tower base
from shifting horizontally as far as I can tell. In the past on my own
installations, I've dropped a 'J' bolt or foundation bolt in the pour, tied
to some steel in the base, and used that in place of the pier pin.  Makes it
nice to put a timber washer and nut on while you are stacking up sections so
it at least stands there on it's own for the first couple sections.
Regarding the second hole, a couple times that I used it, I drove a ground
rod in before pouring the base, and made it pop up in that second hole just
for extra grounding.

Your mileage may vary of course, good luck.

N7HQR