Re: [TowerTalk] 3 element or 4 element beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3 element or 4 element beam
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:42:12 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 14 May 2007 13:15:52 -0700, "Leon" <leonardp14@cox.net> wrote:

>advertising shows only 1 db difference between antennas.
>
>Would I really notice any difference in gain between one antenna over the
>other on the air?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

A difference of only 1 db is all but unnoticeable. It would take a
very careful side-by-side comparison to see the difference.

Also keep in mind that gain is produced by "focusing" the radiation in
one direction. The more you get in one direction, the less you get in
other directions. This can be either good or bad depending on the
situation. If you have your high gain antenna on Europe, you might not
hear the weak station in Africa just off to the side. It's always a
tradeoff.

Myself, I would put up the antenna I thought was best constructed,
most rugged and has the best factory support. That's what is important
to me, but others may disagree, and that's ok. Besides, one can never
evaluate those factors perfectly anyway.

Bill W6WRT