Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?

To: Clint Talmadge <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:52:45 -0800
I have a Tennadyne LPDA and have never tried the ferrite balun; however when
servicing the antenna after it was up 4+ years I decided to replace the big,
heavy & ugly RG213/U choke balun with one made of thinner, lighter weight
cable that would also look nicer and not unbalance the antenna.  I chose to
use RG400/U PTFE coax (only .200" diameter) instead.  It's thinner, lighter
and prettier than the .405" OD black RG213/U and easily handles 2kW.  I
splice it to the main feedline to the shack using ordinary UHF connectors
and a UHF barrel PL-258 at the boom-to-mast clamp area, so the heavier coax
makes the rotator loop and goes down the tower. You might consider something
like this....

-WB2WIK/6