Re: [TowerTalk] RF current meter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF current meter
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:32:45 -0500
RF current meters are good tools.  Real handy for phased arrays and
debugging misc antenna problems.  I just recently built one, since I had
this very nice 50 uA meter that needed a home. I took the simple
approach and then made it a little more complicated.  As you said,
overcoming the diode threshold creates some problems, so I forward
biased it, and then added an opamp to subtract out the offset that
created.  The opamp also made it possible to gain up the output and
calibrate it to the 50 uA meter.  Since the diode is still somewhat
non-linear in the low current range, I added a circuit around the opamp
to correct that non-linearity, so I ended up with a very linear output
which was directly readable from the meter calibration.

The thing that surprised me when looking at the designs others have done
was that many people used the clamp-on ferrites that are intended for
RFI suppression.  These add a large series impedance into what you are
trying to measure and will mess up the current you are trying to
measure.  What was needed was a small iron powder ferrite in a clip-on
which will give low loss, but no one makes these in a clip-on (there is
no application for these).  I ended up splitting a toroid and
fabricating a spring mechanism to make it function like a clip-on.
Worked pretty good.  I have two calibrated ranges on the meter and can
measure from about 10 ma to 5 amps.  There is also a super sensitive
uncalibrated (for now) range.  Current drain on the 9V battery is less
than 1 ma.

The AD8310 is a nice idea also.  I didn't think of that.

Jerry, K4SAV