Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: "KF6PYF@blaze1024.com" <KF6PYF@blaze1024.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:33:18 -0700
Kelly Johnson wrote:
> So, where can I find a stripper that will correctly strip my coax?
>
> I just switched to crimping about 2 months ago because I've had too
> many problems with poorly soldered PL-259's.  It's gonna cost me about
> $200 next week to rent a lift so I can replace a bad feed to my 40m
> yagi.  I'm 99% certain it is another bad solder job on the PL-259.
>
> I bought 20 crimp-on PL-259's and a stripper a couple of months ago
> from www.rfparts.com.  I'm borrowing a friend's crimper.  The problem
> is that I can't seem to adjust the stripper to properly strip the
> coax.  I'm using 9913F cable.  The stripper is part #RFA-4087.  It was
> an expensive stripper and the documentation suggests that it can be
> adjusted and is suitable for 9913.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out
> how to adjust it to fit the connectors they sold me.  Essentially, I
> need 3 "strips", right?  I need it to strip all the way down to the
> center conductor, then nother strip that retains the dialectric, but
> cuts away the braid and finally a third cut that only cuts the outside
> jacket.  I see no way to do this with this stripper.  I improvised and
> used the stripper for 2 of the 3 cuts, but then I had to do the rest
> by hand.  Certainly not worth the money I paid for it.  Is there a
> better one?
>

> On 6/21/07, Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> At 07:27 AM 6/21/2007, Pat Barthelow wrote:
>>

>>> Hello Greg,
>>> Uh - Oh...
>>>
>>> This is almost like the true north thread.   Well discussed, addressed,
>>> here.
>>> Crimp Connectors seem to have every thing...Reliability, speed/ease of
>>> installation, longevity, if proper tools are used.  Especially good choice
>>> in your situation.   Preferred method for Aircraft installations, though for
>>> BNCs and N connectors, not PL-259s.
>>>
>> I'd agree.  The only disadvantage is the cost of the tool. You need
>> both a good stripper that does *exactly* the right strip of the coax
>> AND a crimper and dies that *match* the connector you're
>> using.  There are lots of slightly different connectors, and crimping
>> with the wrong die will almost work right.

The problem is not the stripper, but not knowing how to use it. A coax
stripper in my opinion is a complete waste of money. I can strip coax
with a sharp razor blade faster and much more accurate then a coax
stripper ever could  and I never nick the conductors.

The problem is you are expecting the coax stripper cut all the way
through the outer jacket or inner dielectric without ever touching the
shield or center conductor.. That won't ever happen its not possible
without using some sort of computerized laser cutter.

 All you need the stripper to do is score the outside of the jacket,
simple as that. After you make the score then you flex the coax and the
jacket will split right at the score mark. It's kind of like cutting
glass...... Same thing for the inner conductor you adjust it so the
stripper cuts almost to the center conductor then take a pair of pliers
or your hand and give the inner dielectric a twist and it will shear at
the score line.

When you get the hang of it it's very simple.  Like I said, I strip coax
all the time with nothing more then a razor blade and I never nick the
conductors because I never get close enough. I just make a light score
in the jacket where I want the cut and flex the coax Perfect cut every
time...