Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: <KF6PYF@blaze1024.com>, "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:19:45 -0400
  To st art I've never had problems with solder type PL-259s failing.

> The problem is not the stripper, but not knowing how to use it. A coax
> stripper in my opinion is a complete waste of money. I can strip coax

I'm not sure I'd call it a complete waste as they can be handy, BUT...
I use the "box cutters" that fold like a jacknife and except for small coax
prefer them over the strippers.
I try to use a very sharp blade, which usually means new, when ever starting
a job.

> with a sharp razor blade faster and much more accurate then a coax

Depends on what you mean by accurate. There's a fair amount of leeway that's
minus nothing, plus a "fair amount" which is of course a term we all define
a bit differently.

> stripper ever could  and I never nick the conductors.

I'm not quite that good, but I haven't nicked many<:-))

Normally I take the dimensions needed for the cuts, then knowing that, hold
the connector (N or UHF) up agains the coax (LMR 400 and 600) to eyeball the
points to cut.  First I make the cut *almost* all the way to the center
conductor leaving a tad extra center conductor sticking out (maybe a mm or
two). A quick twist and jacket, shiled and dielectric come right off the
end.  The next cut is through the jacket and braid, just scoring the foil.
Some cables have the foil bonded to the foam dielectric . I try not to cut
all the way through the foil as this will put a considerable indentation in
the dielectric and probably force pieces of brad into the cut which is why I
do not want to cut all the way through. (Stripper or blade that foil may
take a bit of extra work on some cables). Finally, like you I only score the
jacket and bend it to make the seperation.  The depth of the score may take
a few tries to get right. With LMR400 a stripper may be faster to make the
individual cuts, but if done correctly the overall time to prep the end of
the cable for the connector is little different.

BTW I do wear a tight fitting leather glove at least on the hand holding the
box cutter.

> The problem is you are expecting the coax stripper cut all the way
> through the outer jacket or inner dielectric without ever touching the

I find most try to do the same even with a blade.

73

Roger (K8RI)