Re: [TowerTalk] Question using balun on a hf beam

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question using balun on a hf beam
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:56:03 -0700
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:44:04 -0500, Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco wrote:

>I want to know if I use a high power 1-1 current balun such as a
>DX Engineering DXE-BAL050-H10-A will it improve anything? Using
>just the choke I have problems with RF in the shack.

Study

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

DXE makes good stuff, but your problem is unlikely to be related to
the balun/choke. The more likely cause is a pin 1 problem in one or
more of the pieces of gear in your station, including the radio
itself.

If you still want to improve the choke, you can easily build a
better one than you can buy, even from DXE. Wait a few weeks for the
updated cookbook (part of the tutorial at the link above) that
Ill publish after Ive finished measuring some more chokes.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC