Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 00:08:09 -0700
I can't think of a single structural reason ... the stress vectors
should be the same either way, I believe.

It seems to me that one practical downside would that you'd get more
dirt in the joint that way.  On the other hand, if the joints were stuck
(but not seized) you get the benefit of gravity to make it a lot easier
to feed some kind of release lube into the joint.

One other thought, extremely minor though it may be.  When assembling a
tower in a vertical position, such as with a gin pole, your head is most
likely above the joint as you guide the two pieces together.  With the
"upside down" configuration you can see the hole that you're trying to
mate with.    OK OK ... I said it was minor ;)

73,
Dave  AB7E