[TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, neil.goodell@verizon.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:26:46 EDT
Neil,
When dealing with crank-up towers you have to remember the various sections
move as a "system".  This means if you shorten a section, that new length
determines the extended length of each other moveable section.  The reason is
the
lifting cable for that short section must also be shorten correspondingly.
That then limits the travel.  To be safe you would have to adjust the "lift" of
the first section as though it were shorter (a limit switch can do this).  I
would "rebuild" the top twisted section by looking into substituting Rohn 25,
welded to the original Trisato  top section "bottom end" and maintain the
correct overall length.  You may have to reform the preceeding section top
guides to
accommodate the substitute structure.

Regards,
Norm W4QN
True Dan, I suppose I could use the tower as is,but I am sure that
others on this list have had to deal with a twisted top tower section. I
thought about somehow strapping that one section down and trying to use
a piece of pipe to see if I could actually get the twist to come back
some.Your right about the rotor,as that is my Biggest concern, that the
top section and the rotor plate (about 5' down the section) will not
line up correctly,and what problems that will incur down the line.
I was hoping to learn from actual experience's that fellow tower owners
have had,but,at the end of the day, I am probably just going to cut the
2' of twisted section out and re-weld the top plate and lower the rotor
platform also 2',hence a Tristao " 52' " foot tower.
Thanks for your thought's Dan,appreciated.
73
Neil
AE1P