[TowerTalk] monobanders vs. multibanders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] monobanders vs. multibanders
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:25:17 -0400
Carl wrote:

To this day I doubt if any multiband yagi is as good as monobanders on equal
boom lengths. Something is missing with the computer analysis in the losses,
interaction or both.  Carl KM1H

-0-

I think the current crop of "3-monobanders on a common boom" no-trap
tribanders
are probably a wash with a monobander on an equivalent boom.  Trapped
antennas
are another matter.   The KT34A was arguably the best small tribander
around,
and frankly, in an honest A/B test, it was no better than an LPDA, which was
effectively a 2 element antenna, on any given band.  (parameter of choice,
signal strength @ 3000 miles.  CA and EU) I wasn't able to perform a good
A/B test between the LPDA and my steppIR, but felt I was getting through
more
on first-call with the latter.

Antennas are compromises.  Life requires that we make our own compromises.
(I shudda bought Dean Straw's NH place, when I had the chance...those were
mighty stacks!)

-0-

On the broader topic of Mosely bashing....can we return to civil discourse,
please?  Regardless of the merits of anyone's position, this ad-hominem
bickering is inappropriate and frankly, disturbing.

Thank you.

N2EA
Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
We create high-performance organizations.
jimjarvis@themorsegroup.net
www.themorsegroup.net