Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire tensioning without guages?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rusty_atkins@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire tensioning without guages?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:05:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/2007 9:02:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>               Has anybody found/thought of an ingenious method of properly
tensioning guy  wires (3/16 EHS) without the tension guages?

>  I've seen the  vibration/resonance/harmonic method, but to do it
properly requires that  the wires are already properly tensioned and
that you find the first  harmonic to use as a baseline in future  checks.

Yes, that is the only other method. And  it's for big, long guy wires - not
35' of EHS.

>  Tower  standing to 30ft,  anchors down, guy wires hanging, come-alongs and
 cable
grips on the deck. just gotta figure out how to do this  properly
(nobody around here rents the tension guages).

    The guys shouldn't be slack and they shouldn't be  bar tight. For 30' of
tower, it's kind of hard to screw up the tension. The  recommended tension is
400# which is a bunch so tighten the turnbuckles until  there's 6-8" of
movement in the guys when you really wiggle them and that'll  probably be close
enough.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH and