Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower

To: <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower
From: <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:00:20 -0500
Barry is seeking info on tilting/non-retracting towers:

Barry,
I believe Heights Aluminum towers have tilt over fixtures that tilt over the
entire tower, either with a manual crank/"ajax screw", or with a motor. ALSO, I
seem to remember   Y E A R S  ago in one of the mags (QST, or CQ), someone had
engineered a tilt over lattice tower using 2 or 3 sections of tower as a moving
gin pole at the base, 90 deg angle to the tower. Used a winch (not wench) to
tilt and raise (although I guess you could use a wench to turn the winch). Had
4 way side guys. The side guys were left attached permantly and with carefully
calculated length and anchor points so that the tension remained as the tower
was tilted to reduce side sway. The back guys went to the gin pole so tension
also remained constant and reduced tower bend. I believe the tower was about
75' or so in height.

I can be done. Just takes lots a math......
Good luck with your project.

73 es GDDX
K9WN  Jake