Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower

To: n6fd@mchsi.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
N6FD wrote:
> I purchased a tower from the estate of a SK.  It was about 50' high and
> hinged in the middle.  It had strongback that ran along one leg of the
> tower attaching to the tower above the hinge.  There was a winch on the
> tower below the strongback attached to it with a cable that allowed you
> to crank the tower up and down.  Unfortunately it is currently lying on
> the ground awaiting construction of the new QTH, otherwise I could put
> up pictures.  If anyone can remember who the manufacture was, I would
> appreciate a pointer.

Rohn foldover, 25 or 45.  I used to have one of those.  It is a nice tower,
not made anymore, unfortunately.  Should be documented in legacy
Rohn manuals.  Tower itself is plain vanilla 25 or 45.

>> I believe Heights Aluminum towers have tilt over fixtures that tilt over
>> the entire tower, either with a manual crank/"ajax screw", or with a
>> motor. ALSO, I seem to remember   Y E A R S  ago in one of the mags
>> K9WN  Jake

I was planning to put up one of these systems, but you are extremely
limited in dead weight because of the stress on the acme (not ajax :-)
screw.  In fact, I bought the tower used and the screw was broken.
I elected to use the Heights hinge, but not the screw/motor.
Instead, I am planning on the falling derrick method, using another
Heights tower as the derrick.  The screw system may be your only
option on a small lot.  If so, use a lightweight rotor and aluminum
mast and LMR coax (weighs less), etc.

Rick N6RK