[TowerTalk] Antenna/mast height above tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna/mast height above tower?
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:24:43 +0000
Having just spent the weekend up and down all three of my towers (and I hate
climbing mast steps also), each tower has only one antenna up top.

One antenna is a KT36XA and all are 1 foot above the top of the tower.  Then
you need to make sure you have enough mast extending above the antenna so that
you have enough to attach the/any boom guys for the antenna.

I also like to place the rotator down about 5 feet or so inside the tower.
This lessens the moment load at the top of the tower and it also gives me
plenty of mast within the tower to attach to in case I need/when it happens to
remove the rotator.

So plan in advance exactly how you will remove/swap out your rotator; this
preplanning will reap dividends in the future when/if you need to do that.

Phil  KB9CRY