Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/mast height above tower?

To: "Phil Camera" <kb9cry@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/mast height above tower?
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:41:14 -0400
Depending upon the length of the mast and the arrays that are on it there is
going to be some moderate to strong  imbalance that will kick the mast out
at the bottom when releasing the rotator clamps. There are many methods of
holding the mast but none entirely satisfactory especially for long term (as
in having to order parts). Since I lean to 20-24' masts and lots of aluminum
attached to them I use 2 thrust bearings. The lower one is mounted on a
rotator plate in the usual location on 25G and the rotator is mounted about
5-6' down in the top section. With 45G I mount the bearing 5' down and the
rotator is mounted where it gives sufficient clearance to remove or upgrade.

Besides making a rotator swap a simple and quick job it allows for perfect
centering of the mast in a Tailtwister as well as removing the side thrust
in any rotator.

A few more bucks but it beats climbing to free up a binding rotator or
thrust bearing.

Carl
KM1H