Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:18:23 -0400
If you look at the coastal transmitting sites of those days you will see
that many were located at the edge of a salt marsh. Their primary listening
audience was in the direction of the marsh and/or open water. They generally
did not locate with their biggest audience inland. WOR in NYC for instance
had the antenna in the marshes of NJ. I could hear them in the Eastern
Mediterranean in the early 60's. On some nights they cleared a complete path
through the tortured cat screeches that passes for music in that part of the
world.

Back then most were single tower installations. Multi tower installs were
primarily for bi directional gain. The real fights for frequencies and
steered nulls didnt really take off until after WW2.
As I type this listening to the Red Sox game on 680 WRKO they just hit the
sundown button on their array. A good 25dB drop and the hetrodynes popped
in.

With a shallow salt water table directly below the antenna there will be a
benefit  compared to none. However on HF you can expect a VSWR change with
the tide; the amount will be dependent upon the ground system used.

Carl
KM1H