Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to

To: w4zw@comcast.net, km1h@jeremy.mv.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:35:29 -0700
Some HF sites to Die For!   Those Salty Dogs Knew!

I shudder to think about what the  tower maintenance costs were  here!

Old man, Mr Tesla really knew what he was doing!

As does Tom of Force 12 with his comprehensive Salty Dog testing...

Enjoy!

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/hightide.jpg

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/marsh1.jpg

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/rhombicsE.jpg

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/Discone.jpg

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/disconebase.jpg

http://www.teslaradio.org/images/lptowers.jpg

http://force12inc.com/PCSDAT-002.htm

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com

>From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
>To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to
>Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:14:49 -0700
>
>I'm oceanfront here on Casey Key Island in the Gulf of Mexico.  I'm
>surrounded by water on three sides, the Gulf to the West, the Intracoastal
>bay to the East, and the southern tip of then island to the South.  Often I
>can be working JA's mobile and as I leave the island and get only 500-800
>meters inland, they just almost disappear.  I can do a U-turn and as I come
>back onto the island and near the beach they just pop up out of the murk.
>Even when I run QRP, especially on 40m (2 elements at 100' ASL) I always
>get
>great signal reports, and the vertical loop on 80M works better than I
>would
>ever have expected.  Our club used to do QRP Field Day from my dock, and
>everyone was always amazed at how well the antennas worked.

>Unfortunately, my normally quiet QTH has experienced an increased noise
>level from all those transformers  that got a good thrashing with the
>double
>whammy of the hurricanes.
>

>I call this ocean outside Mother Nature's amplifier.

>Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

>Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"