Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld Question

To: Mark Robinson <markrob@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld Question
From: "Darrel J. Van Buer" <darrel@vanbuer.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:16:38 -0700
I did my first Cadweld one shots a year ago.  The hardest parts were mechanical
- had to touch up the ends of each ground rod with a file in spots where it was
mushroomed out from driving it, and getting the mold over the end of the rod (I
might have had a slightly-too small size) - the rubber gasket is pretty snug.
The rest was easy.  Poured in the powder, grazed each with a propane torch at
arm's length (wrong tool, might blow away some of the powder but... hot enough,
running fairly low flame).  It really only burns for a moment, though the
molten copper takes a few minutes to cool.

A brazing rod is certainly cheaper than a one shot, but also requires the right
(expensive) tools and a lot of skill
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, AK6I
darrel@vanbuer.net