Re: [TowerTalk] Question for Hazer owners

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question for Hazer owners
From: "Dave Lichtenwalner" <ka3eaj@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:10:16 -0400
I completed a heavy duty H-4 Hazer with roller bearings (wheels)
installation on 25G a few weeks ago. I'd have to bring it down to measure
the clearance but I'm guessing it is about 1/8" - definitely less than a
1/4".

I've had the Hazer up and down about 3 times with no problems. It is a
little "jerky" at spots but no different than what I've experienced with a
list member's crank-up (now powered) tower. The 140 or so pounds of antenna,
mast and rotator helps gravity do its job in my case also.

I upgraded the winch to the optional brake winch which keeps things under
control on the way down.

The safety latch has very little lateral play and is placed close enough to
the vertical tubes so it rides past the horizontal to diagonal bend and weld
with out getting jammed. I'm guessing that it is an inch or more high and
would have to be quite a way closer to tower center to get caught. Perhaps a
better chance of that happening without roller bearings.

So far I'm very happy with the H-4 and options/upgrades.

73
Dave KA3EAJ