Re: [TowerTalk] fold over towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fold over towers
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:30:07 -0500
> Fold Overs are kinda neat
> because I don't mind climbing to assemble it but would need some help on the
> ground but only once.They kinda scare me because of the danger of the
> leverage of them but if you know what your doing and don't violate what the
> maker says you should be OK.Not sure of the cost or if they are available
> new anymore.

I have a 68' Rohn 25 foldover which I've had up since 1970. The first
antenna was a TH6DXX which was replaced by a KT34XA in 1981 and has been
up ever since. I've had no problems with the tower and it has survived
some major storms including one which snapped off an 18" diameter pine
tree about 15' off the ground next to my house. I have heard of a couple
of people who had failures of the tilting boom on the 45 version, and
Rohn subsequently redesigned that part. Rohn dropped the foldover from
their product line several years ago and I'm not aware of anyone else
making such a design. You do need a calm day to fold it over because it
would be very vulnerable to wind while being tilted.

73,

John, K9MM