[TowerTalk] fold over towers

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fold over towers
From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:29:07 -0500
I'm trying to decide between a crank-up,fold over or self suporting
tower.Looking at holding a Becher Skyhawk and Cushcraft XM-240 in the air at
55-75 feet.I have no problem with climbing but its hard for me to find
someone to assist on the ground.Its hard for me to install larger antennas
by myself in the air.So need to find a way to be able to stay close to the
ground,or not have to deal with the "around guy wire" thing.Crankups scare
me about price and still gotta climb them somewhat to install antennas on
the tower but no guy wires to mess you up and could get a manlift.On a side
note,I was supposed to get an 80 foot manlift but the company backed out of
the deal when they found someone with deeper pockets then me.I can't find
another company that will commit to a date,they'll put me on "standby".Which
I figure means the first blizzard of the winter!!Fold Overs are kinda neat
because I don't mind climbing to assemble it but would need some help on the
ground but only once.They kinda scare me because of the danger of the
leverage of them but if you know what your doing and don't violate what the
maker says you should be OK.Not sure of the cost or if they are available
new anymore.I think you can work on the ground with those which is nice,
very niceSelf supporters get rid of the guy wires but gotta climb them but I
would think installing antennas would be easy.Just get a pulley on the mast
and haul it straight up along side the tower,with no guy cables it should be
kinda easy,no?Again not sure of price but shouldn't be as bad as a
crankupLooking for ideas or something I missed   Gregg  K9KL.