Re: [TowerTalk] Starting the tower tilting

To: "Alan NV8A" <nv8a@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Starting the tower tilting
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
Alan NV8A wrote:
> On 09/04/07 11:10 am Pat Chiles wrote:
>
>> I received an email inquiry this morning about how I actually start my
>> crank-up tower tilting over so that the weight of the tower is off dead
>> center and starts it decent unaided.  For those of you who haven't had
>> the pleasure it is not easy.  I have tried several levers and fulcums
>> and have yet to get the right combination.  I have also toyed with the
>> idea of a metal bracket to slide under the tower leg and provide a
>> surface to place a bottle jack under the bracket.  As I am writing this

My HDX-5106 has 2" of gap under it, which is enough to get
an "Aluminum Racing Jack" under there if you remove the roller
and pan.  This is really nice.  Not just for starting to tip it
over, but also for letting it down easy when going the other
way.  Bottle jacks don't have enough travel for this big tower,
but might be real nice for smaller towers.  My understanding is
that you can't get my jack under smaller towers.  Hydraulic rams
also don't have enough travel for the '5106.

Rick N6RK