[TowerTalk] Starting the tower tilting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Starting the tower tilting
From: Roger Cooke <g3ldi@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:24:58 +0100 (BST)
Hi.

  I have seen some of the suggestions regarding this problem. I have three
tilt-over towers here, one 40ft with a 20ft pole in the head unit and UHF/VHF
verticals for data/FM on the top. Another is a 60ft 3-section tilt-over, and the
main tower is a 120ft 3-section. I can just about manage the smallest one
on my own with a 6ft long lever, which is a 2x2 piece of wood. The 60ft one
I have problems with and the largest one is impossible. I do have a
counter-weight on the bottom, which is a 2ftx2ftx4inch piece of concrete. With
this one, I
usually have help. The sections are 40ft long, and I attach a pull-rope at about
30ft. With the tower cranked down, I start luffing and my helper starts pulling.
This is by far the best method. It is balanced, but it's getting it past the
first
stage that is impossible alone.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Regards from Roger, G3LDI