Re: [TowerTalk] Insulator Placement Clarification

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulator Placement Clarification
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:42:25 EDT
In a message dated 9/5/2007 12:29:51 A.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
donovanf@starpower.net writes:

If  you're willing to sacrifice performance, you can try using no insulators
at  all, but YMMV...  Many hams who've made a major capital and labor
investment in a tower and antennas prefer to take the least risky, highest
electrical performance approach and go with Phillystran or  fiberglas.

I'm with Frank on this.  By the time you start buying 502s (around $6  each),
guy grips (around $6 each) there isn't a whole lot of  difference in cost,
especially if you have a short tower.  I have used  Philly from the 80s and
also
did the Polyrod fiberglass thing.  I am not a  big fan of the Polyrod since
it started getting "fuzzy" real quick in  the Florida sun.  It is a lot cheaper
though.  The catch on  Polyrod is you have to put in a BIG order (usually a
group thing)

The Philly I am putting up on my tower out here in KH6 is from the 80s  and
early 90s, and other than some surface rust on the potting connectors, is
still in excellent shape.  I highly recommend the Phillystran  route.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS